In the entertainment industry, most people often compare movies and video games. Before the turn of the millennium, the movie industry was indeed the leading sector, however, the gaming industry arguably usurped the throne based on revenue. In 2019 alone, the video gaming industry raked up a total of $120.1 billion in revenue compared to the global box office revenue of $42.5 billion.
Video gaming is becoming more prevalent now more than ever. The recent inclusion of e-games as a sport in events such as the SEA Games further catapulted the industry into relevancy. Video gamers are also increasing in numbers and are breaking stereotypes — especially in the streaming era. We’ve gathered crucial video game statistics to give you a clearer picture of this lucrative market.
Video Game Statistics Table of Contents
Video Game Industry Statistics
The video gaming industry is undeniably one of the biggest industries in the global market currently. With hundreds of billions in revenue, it is one of the most attractive industries to either invest or work under. Developers are also constantly releasing new titles for gamers to enjoy. In 2019 alone, 8,000 games were released on Steam, a popular video game storefront. The statistics below will show you the video game industry as a whole.
- There are 2.7 billion gamers worldwide in 2020.
- 1.5 billion gamers are in the Asia-Pacific region.
- 75% of Americans have at least one gamer in their household.
- China, the US, and Japan are the top three gaming markets worldwide.
- 50% of game developers were born in the US.
- 40% of game developers in 2019 were University graduates.
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is the most popular game title in the US.
- FIFA 17 is the most popular game in 15 countries.
- PlayStation 2 is the best-selling game console of all time with 157.68 million units sold since launch.
- In 2019, the US employed 53% of game developers.
- 66% of game developers are working on projects on PCs.
- Steam is the number one storefront for 47% of game developers.
- 48% of game studios work on VR and AR games.
- League of Legends is the most popular PC game worldwide as of March 2020.
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is the most-watched video game on Twitch with 66.5 million hours.
Top 10 Best-Selling Video Game Consoles (in Millions of Units sold)
PlayStation 2: 157.68
Nintendo DS: 154.90
Game Boy: 118.69
Nintendo Wii: 101.64
PlayStation 4: 88.06
PlayStation 3: 86.90
Xbox 360: 85.50
Game Boy Advance: 81.51
Game Boy Advance
PlayStation Portable: 80.82
Source: Guinness World RecordsCreated by CompareCamp.com
Gamer Age Statistics
Entertainment like movies are made to be enjoyed by people no matter their age — video games are too. Nowadays, playing video games isn’t exclusive to younger people. In fact, the average age of a gamer is in the 30s. Additionally, even the older generation are enjoying digital versions of games they know well, like mahjong, card games, and more through their smart devices.
- The average age of a gamer is 33 years old.
- For women gamers, the average age is 34 years old.
- The average age of a male gamer is 32 years old.
- The largest group of gamers came are aged between 18 and 24 at 16.3%.
Gamer Gender Statistics
Gamers are often stereotyped as the couch potato nerd, who lives in his parents’ basement. In 2020, this isn’t the case anymore. Gone are the days of male domination of the video game industry. Today, gaming is prolific no matter the gender — the statistics speak for itself.
- In 2019, 54% of American gamers are male and 46% are female.
- Male dominates the game developing industry at almost 80% with females accounting for only 19%.
- Male millennial gamers’ favorite games are God of War, Madden NFL, and Fortnite.
- Candy Crush, Assassin’s Creed, and Tomb Raider are the most popular games among female millennial gamers.
Gender of Gamers in the US in 2019
Source: ESACreated by CompareCamp.com
Gamer Behavior & Perception Statistics
Contrary to contemporary (but also quickly fading) belief, gaming offers a host of benefits for people. According to various studies, gaming allows people to develop critical thinking and creativity. For most people, video games serve as their escape from the stressful environment they are usually in. Additionally, a lot of games available in the market right now are played online and have the option to be played with other people. MMORPGs like World of Warcraft and battle royale games like Fortnite are only a few of the games best played with friends.
- 65% of American adults play video games.
- According to 90% of parents, they pay attention to the games their child plays.
- 59% of gamers are certain they will vote in the next presidential election.
- 56% of gamers are more likely to have a creative hobby than average Americans.
- 32% of gamers in the US play a musical instrument.
- Mental stimulation is provided by games to 79% of gamers.
- Games provide relaxation and stress relief according to 78% of gamers.
- 63% of US gamers play with others.
- Adult gamers spend 4.8 hours a week playing with others online.
- 3.5 hours are spent by adult games playing games with others in person.
- 39% of gamers refer to YouTube videos before making a purchase.
Video Game Usage Statistics
Video games can be played across a variety of platforms and consoles. Moreover, games are divided into a myriad of genres. In the past couple of years, battle royale games took the world by storm. Fortnite and PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds are the leading titles in this game genre — and still are. Furthermore, as our smartphones get even smarter, a lot of developers are keen on tapping the potential of these devices for gaming.
- The top gaming genre worldwide in 2018 is Action.
- In the US, the most popular game genres are Casual (71%), Action (53%), and Shooter (47%).
- On mobile, the most played games are matching puzzle games.
- VR games are most popular among 63% of players aged 25-34.
- Android devices are the most preferred OS for mobile games.
- 69% of male millennial gamers prefer playing games on their console.
- Smartphones are the preferred gaming platform for 69% of female millennial gamers.
Video Game Revenue Statistics
The video game industry is a lucrative market. Experts predict a positive year-over-year growth for the industry. Game developers are also becoming smarter about how they market their products. Before, you can enjoy the full-features of a game in one purchase, but nowadays, game companies often opt to add the option of downloadable content that gamers can purchase to unlock certain stages or add more story content. This scheme appears to have been, mostly, embraced by many, as is reflected by a 2019 projection that gamers will spend a total of $152.1 billion on games. The statistics below will show you other relevant data about the revenue of the gaming industry.
- It is projected that the global game market revenue will hit $196 billion in 2022.
- The gaming revenue in the US amounted to approximately $1.6 billion in March 2020.
- Video gamers were projected to spend a combined total of $152.1 billion on games in 2019.
- In 2020, games on Steam have an average price of $9.65.
- Free-to-play games increased their revenue by 8% in 2019.
- Fortnite is the top-grossing game in 2019 with a revenue of $1.8 billion.
- The indie game market’s worth is estimated to be at $1 billion in 2018.
Video Games: More Than Entertainment
Video games are continuously evolving. The emergence of augmented (AR) and virtual reality (VR) technologies will surely make an impact on the industry. Gaming is also seen as more than just an activity to kill time. Millions of people are making their living through gaming. Twitch, a popular live video streaming service, has become the platform for thousands of gamers where they can establish their name.
Moreover, the rise of e-games as a sport made the industry even more interesting for a lot of people. Gaming has now become a career option for a lot of people. The statistics in this article are not only meant to inform but to show you the possibilities of doing business with this industry. Also, taking note of the behavior and insights of gamers can give your business a step ahead in this niche market.
- Newzoo’s Key Numbers | Games, Esports, Mobile
- 2019 ESSENTIAL FACTS About the Computer and Video Game Industry
- Top Countries & Markets by Game Revenues | Newzoo
- Developer Satisfaction Survey 2019 Summary Report
- The Most Popular Video Games in the World | CableTV.com
- STATE OF THE GAME INDUSTRY 2019
- Most Popular Core PC Games | Global | Newzoo
- Most Watched Games on Twitch | Esports Content and Total
- Video Game Demographics – How Many People Play Video Games? – Earnest
- Top 10 Most Popular Game Genres in the World 2018 | Gaming Industry –
- Free Reports | EEDAR, an NPD Group Company | Context is Everything
- Peak Video Game? Top Analyst Sees Industry Slumping in 2019 – Bloomberg
- March 2020 NPD: Animal Crossing powers March to blockbuster game sales |
- The Global Games Market Will Generate $152.1 Billion in 2019 as the U.S.
- Monthly summaries – SteamSpy – All the data and stats about Steam games
- 2019 Year In Review — SuperData, a Nielsen Company
- The Future of Indie Gaming is Multi-platform and Bright | Hacker Noon